Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bullying and Homophobia Is Nothing New

Was contacted on Facebook by an old friend from High School and Junior High who reminded me that bullying and homophobia isn't new. I quit the football team and joined  modern dance.  The Vietnam War was raging and it was a make love not war, anti-violence decision.  She remembered being on stage with me in the darkened theater standing alongside another friend, in a dance performance at a school assembly.

As we walked out we were pelted with pens being thrown from the audience as the dance piece began. A few in the audience whispered "Faggots!"as the pens hit us and my other male friend whispered something like "I can't take this! I want to yell back" and she remembers me saying "Stay cool. that's just what they want. Just don't react and keep dancing."  And we did.  We got through it.  Dignity intact.  And I got a few new pens.  I love Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment